Data science is a term that you hear talked about a lot but it’s often misunderstood. It’s a buzzword, but behind it lies very specific set of activities - and skills - that businesses can leverage to their advantage. While it’s not wrong to see data science as a real game changer for business, that doesn’t mean it’s easy to do well.
But what is data science exactly? Quite simply, it’s about using data to solve problems. The scope of these problems is huge. Here are a few ways data science can be used:
- Improving customer retention by finding out what the triggers of churn might be
- Improving internal product development processes by looking at points where faults are most likely to happen
- Targeting customers with the right sales messages at the right time
- Informing product development by looking at how people use your products
- Analyzing customer sentiment on social media
- Financial modeling
As you can see data science is a field that can impact every department. From marketing to product management to finance, data science isn’t just a buzzword, it’s a shift in mindset about how we work.
Once you’ve understood that data science is really about solving business problems you’re on the right track. Too often businesses want machine learning, big data projects without thinking about what they’re really trying to do. If you want your data scientists to be successful, present them with the problems - let them create the solutions.
Empower your data science students with the following soon to be released titles:
- Beginning Data Science with Python and Jupyter (Available Now)
- Beginning Data Science with R (Available July 2018)
- Beginning Data Science with Python (Available TBD)
- Beginning Data Analysis and Visualization with Matplotlib, Seaborn and Python (Available TBD)
- Beginning Data Visualization with ggplot and R (Available TBD)
- Beginning Natural Language Processing with Python and NLTK (Available TBD)
- Beginning Natural Language Processing with R and OpenNLP (Available TBD)
Logical Operations has partnered with Packt to provide emerging technology training materials. Packt was founded to help make sense of these emerging technologies, and to provide practical resources to help developers put software to work in new ways.
This practical, expert-written material gives you everything you need to deliver high impact technical training on the emerging technologies driving digital transformation.
For more information on the Packt offerings, please contact Christine Harper at Logical Operations (firstname.lastname@example.org).